Tuesday, February 21, 2012

The Superiority of Glad Submission


I am not a wife, so I cannot speak from first-hand experience, but the other day I had a pre-wife epiphany. I was reading through Ephesians and got to the wives and husbands section. Normally, I nod my head in agreement and just wonder what it could possibly look like for me in my future. But that day I found myself in a cascade of thoughts about the feminist-hating word: "submission." 


Christian women are called to submit to their own husbands, as to the Lord. (Eph 5:22) Christian men must feel respected and loved when their wives submit to them. But submission in and of itself isn't great if it's just part of my duty. How much more loved and respected a husband must feel, if his wife displays GLAD submission to his leadership. She more accurately reflects Christ when she gladly submits to her husband's initiating and sacrificial leading. Christ didn't just submit, he gladly submitted to the Father's will. 


Jump from the earthly picture for a moment. Then Christ, our husband, must get glory and respect when we submit to his will for our lives. And not just plain ho-hum submission to his will for our lives, but glad submission to his will. I find myself getting to a place where I say, "I'm finally accepting God's will for my life." I want to be at the place where I say, "I gladly accept God's will for my life." 


If I cannot gladly submit to God's will and leadership over my life, what makes me think that one day I will gladly submit to some man's leadership? If I can't gladly rejoice over Christ's perfect rule over my life, I will not have inclinations to gladly rejoice over a fallen, sinful man's leadership in my marriage. 


Praying that God moves my heart from submission to glad submission to his will over every area of my life. 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Vargas - I'm sure this will come as a surprise to you but I've been reading your blog here for about a year now, and I really like it. It's insightful, intelligent and relatable. Also because you are a peer I find your points to be more impactfull in my life than they might be coming from a giant of the faith whose standards and ideals I figure I could never live up to. Anyways, be encouraged! I frequently tell my gf about what rad insight you've had recently. You should write a book and soon, I would buy it.
All this to lovingly say, what's up with the lack of updates?!? Geez. :)
Mark Paulick