Saturday, May 14, 2011

Desires...

Psalm 21:2 "You have given him his heart's desire and have not withheld the request of his lips." 

After reading this I found myself praying for my desires. And then I stopped in my tracks. If my "desires" are a relationship, a status, a person, children, success, something other than Christ, then maybe my desires are too weak. 


I don't feel as though it's wrong to desire these things, but when that's my ultimate heart's desire, my desires are too weak. When the first thing I think when I pray about my desires is something other than Christ, I feel as though I am loving the Father for his gifts, rather than for him. 


It reminds me of that CS Lewis quote about being half hearted creatures. We are like children in a slum content with making mud pies because we don't know what it means to be offered a holiday at sea. Praying for stronger desires. 



No comments: